[Mimedefang] Filtering idea for stock pump&dumps

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Jul 2 08:48:09 EDT 2007

Looking at a plain text stock pump and dump spam, the idea (good or bad is
yet to be seen) struck me that if we could get a list of all the stocks
being traded on the bulleting boards and other minor exchanges, we could
use that to block this type of spam.  The message in question only hit on
the Bayes rule, which generated a number of false positives, so it only
adds 4.5 points, just shy of blocking messages.

Is such a list of companies and their codes easily available?

Would it be hard to put into Spamassassin/MIMEDefang/CanIt?

Downsides?

---
The Kool-Aid from Redmond is powerful stuff.  -- Gregg Eldred

William Brown
Web Development & Messaging Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES
(716)821-7285