[Mimedefang] GPLv3

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Jul 1 19:46:49 EDT 2007

Martin Blapp wrote:

> I'm very concerned about your idea to make Mimedefang GPL v3. Our
> company would then have to stay with the current release.

OK.  Why is that?  What specifically in GPL3 is the problem?

>> New GPLv3 licensed code in the ports tree should be approached with
>> caution, but portmgr@ and core@ will issue guidance.  Stallman
>> indicated in his speech that any violation of the terms of GPLv3
>> for one package would invalidate the license to all GPLv3 software
>> packages for the entity violating the license.

I don't see that at all from GPL3.  I think that's Stallman's
interpretation.  Besides, Stallman cannot possibly enforce that -- it's
up to each copyright holder to enforce the license.

> Some people are already talking about a fork of gcc and other Gnu software.

I think this is rash.  I honestly don't see anything in GPL3 that's
*that* bad.