[Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed Jan 31 22:36:33 EST 2007

On 31 Jan 2007 at 12:59, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> My latest annoyance though is with the procedures from
> http://www.borderware.com/ and, for example,
> http://intercept.borderware.com/lookup?ip=63.216.184.10
>
> We, of course, have decent procedures in place to extend the edge of our
> networks using fine programs like MIMEDefang.  But we are also the backup
> mail server for hundreds of domains.  However, they count NDRs as SPAM even
> though we only generate an NDR when it is impossible to otherwise and we
> have no reason to believe our problem is anything other than NDRs.  (see
> http://bsn.borderware.com/faq.php?ip=63.216.184.10&d=pccc.com&u=)
>
> Is anyone else running into issues with their intercept system?

First off, I hadn't realized you were such a close neighbor...howdy
across the river.

Second, it's funny they consider NDRs as spam because of the
backscatter issue, since their product (MXtreme) causes a lot of them,
as it has no way to directly retrieve internal e-mail addresses (LDAP,
etc.).  It requires manual configuration to know what are valid e-mail
addresses.  And, it's such a pain to do this that its easier to just
accept everything and let the back end sort it out.

Third, my former employer was a loosely-knit group of companies owned
by a larger company, and each "division" had its own e-mail domain
(from when they were standalone companies), but one division was
responsible for the shared e-mail domain.  They ran an MXtreme as their
border device.  We ran MIMEDefang, and my 8-year-old e-mail address got
basically zero spam and viruses, while my new shared e-mail domain
address THAT HAD NEVER BEEN USED EXTERNALLY FOR ANYTHING received 2-3 a
day through the MXtreme box.

Now, this could have been just a configuration issue, as the admins of
the MXtreme box also had not set up their Exchange box to reject
unknown addresses (we used Exchange as a back end, and our Exchange
worked correctly with md_check_against_smtp_server.

--
Jeff Rife |