[Mimedefang] Re: On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Jan 31 15:24:58 EST 2007

> If you can't reject during the initial SMTP phase, then your NDR's of
> spam,
> with their possible forged envelope addresses, will also be spam. So, if
> you
> can't drop at the initial conversation, or it is relayed from a backup MX,
> it
> is your message, and your problem. Just don't generate NDR's. If you can't
> return at SMTP, you will need to drop it.

We'll politely disagree because I am doing my best to reject mail including
having backup servers query primary servers for valid email addresses but
when the primary server is down, we MUST queue mail up on our servers.  If
people choose to view that as us being the source of SPAM, then they are
negating the entire point of having backup MX's for when stuff hits the fan.

regards,
KAM