[Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:16:34 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 14:10 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:

> If they want to know where it originated, then they will have to
> go through *their* logs and follow the bread-crumb trail
> back to the point of origin.

   Here is an example of why that does not give enough information.  AOL
has a service where I (as email administrator for our domain) can get
what's called a "Feedback Loop" which basically means that I get email
whenever an AOL user clicks "This is spam" on email that originates from
our campus.  Problem is, they strip out all identifying information about
the subscriber that made the complaint.  Now I can *somtimes* figure out
enough information from my sendmail logs to see what the problem is, but
here is something that happens all the time:  Mailing list has 100
subscribers, 23 of which are AOL addresses.  AOL subscriber decides he
doesn't want to be on the list any more so rather that unsubscribing, he
just clicks "This is spam".  I get the Feedback Loop email from AOL.  I
can see who sent the original email, and the contents of the message, but
sendmail just shows me that it went to 23 aol.com addresses and I have no
idea which one complained.  So how do I fix that?  I thought the Feedback
Loop was a good feature, but all it is is an annoyance because I don't
have enough information to remedy the complaint.

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville