contacts.abuse.net (was Re: [Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's that insist on a copy of Spam)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 30 18:15:24 EST 2007

Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:

 > If you have a domain, like, example.com, to contact in abuse
 > cases (eg as learned from reverse DNS), just do a DNS query for
 > "example.com.contacts.abuse.net": TXT records are contact addresses, A
 > records list the number of contacts, and HINFO tells you if the contact
 > is actually listed ("lookup") or if it just returns you the default
 > record ("default"). If you get the default it's likely best to fall
 > back to WHOIS info.

Ooh!  I didn't know about that.  However, we use only the IP address
of the sending host to file abuse reports.  (For example, if spam
purportedly from "xs4all.nl" is relayed from 220.1.2.3, we'll do a
WHOIS on the IP address to find the responsible person.  We won't
bother xs4all.nl. :-))

Nevertheless, if a sending relay has a PTR record, it might be worthwhile
doing a contacts.abuse.net on the domain portion of the PTR.