[Mimedefang] OT: Blocking Port 25

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Jan 30 14:08:33 EST 2007

John Rudd wrote:

> For defaults, don't forget IMAP, outbound ssh, outbound passive ftp, and
> the other simple ones.
>
> But, yeah... agree in principle.  Block all but the REALLY
> common/basics, provide a web interface (accessible only from client
> networks, not from the outside world) for unblocking.

See now there I would have to jump in and say "no" since there are more reasonable
ports below 1023 than possibly unreasonable.

I've been to way to many WiFi spots that block 143 and 993 (IMAP and IMAPs)
and I exclusively use IMAPs and 587 for TLS/AUTH Sessions.

Again, wider general populous of admins are clueless when it comes to which ones
to block. It's really kinda sad.

 -Ben

--
Ben Kamen