[Mimedefang] OT: Blocking Port 25

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Jan 30 11:24:31 EST 2007

Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yea, I meant to control port 25 egress from nets like Cable/DSL/Dialup
>> users...
>
> Me, personally, I'd hate it.  I can deliver mail faster and more
> reliably (from past experience) than my ISP.  When that's not an
> option I relay via my domain hosts, who may not be quite as reliable
> as my ISP, but aren't on as many blacklists :)  I'd love them to use
> the submission port, but they're not even close to that clueful.
>
> I'm not even that sure it would help the spam problem.  The majority
> of the spam I receive these days come via ISP mail servers or open
> relays.  This may of course simply mean that I'm not receiving a
> "normal" pattern of spam...

I would also agree there. The big TelCo ISP's are so clueless it's not even funny.
Rather than elaborate a long boring story about more incompetence, I'll just
nod my head profusely.

Ok, so port:25 blocking still seems to be a bad idea for the mostpart because
ISP's (in general) still do not have their act together. (and looking
at how they spend their money probably never will.)

(groan)

 -Ben