[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 23 20:29:47 EST 2007

Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> Noooooooooooo!!!!!!  Not silently discard!!!!

Yes, silently discard.

But wait!  CanIt, out of the box, *NEVER EVER* rejects or discards
an e-mail unless a human being tells it to.

Now, you can tune the settings so that it will in fact reject or
discard e-mail without intervention, but unless you've been insanely
aggressive in your settings, even rejected/discarded e-mails create an
"incident" in the database so you can see what happened, as well as look
over the first 8kB of the mail to see what you might have missed.

> Perhaps a better solution for me would be to to make filter_end accept
> if any one user accepts it, then for the users that reject it, call
> delete_recipient then email the sender an error message from mimedefang
> sourced from a black hole account.

Sending the sender an error message will very quickly get you blacklisted
as a source of backscatter.  That's the unfortunate reality.