[Mimedefang] Questions about stream_by_recipient and problems it creates.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jan 23 15:28:49 EST 2007

Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I am deliberating over the best way to handle email where two recipients
> want different spam settings and can't seem to find a solution I like.
> Seemingly there are only two real solutions:

> 1.  Detect the spam and reject it in filter_end which is very clean, but
> causes problems when there are two recipients, one which wants the
> message, and one who wants it to be bounced as spam.

> 2.  Call stream_by_recipient and re-queue the message for each recipient
> causing all messages to multiple recipients to be accepted then later
> rejected if detected as spam.  This also causes a new bounce message
> sourced from MAILER-DAEMON to be sent to the sender, which in the case
> of spam, is almost always spoofed.

Our commercial CanIt-PRO product uses a third solution:

3) If all recipients have the same settings and rules, reject the spam
in filter_end.  Otherwise, remail copies.  If an e-mail originating
from 127.0.0.1 is rejected as spam, we call action_discard instead of
action_bounce.  Three years ago, I would have said this was a bad solution
because it silently discarded e-mail.  Today, unfortunately, I am of the
opinion that it's the only viable way.