SuperSafe=PostMilter (was Re: [Mimedefang] comparemimedefangto mailscanner)

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Thu Jan 18 07:57:25 EST 2007

On 17 Jan 2007 at 23:40, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> Sorry to beat a dead-horse potentially but is this a no-brainer setting that
> everyone running MD should have on their sendmail install?
>
> I guess the question really is that I have no idea what the benefits or
> detriments of deferring synchronization of the queue file would be.

The benefit would be speed, especially on a busy server where
MIMEDefang rejects a large percentage of the messages.  By not asking
the OS to commit the file to disk (as opposed to letting it hang around
in OS cache memory) during the first part of queueing, it will
generally only occur if the OS has time for it (in which case, it's not
really harming performance).

The detriment would be that if your server crashes (power loss, etc.)
during the time MIMEDefang is processing an incoming e-mail, then the
file might not be on physical disk.  This means that the other end
would just retry when your server is back up, since sendmail would
never have given the other end a final accept/reject response.  So, you
shouldn't ever lose data because of this setting (although it could
definitely be delayed), since the other end *should* retry, but it
might be the last attempt, or the other end might not be compliant,
etc.

--
Jeff Rife | "Wheel of morality,