[Mimedefang] Re: compare mimedefang to mailscanner

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed Jan 17 19:04:25 EST 2007

On 17 Jan 2007 at 17:25, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > You'll notice that neither of these is "bounce it".
> >

> In a practical sense, it is.  If the other end of the SMTP conversation
> is an RFC-conforming server, your 5xx rejection forces it to construct
> a bounce.

Yes, but unlike the "end-point server" creating a bounce, the "sending
server" has a much higher chance of not creating backscatter.

Basically, when it hits *my* server, all I really know is the "MAIL
FROM:" that was sent to me, and I have no way of knowing if that is
accurate.  But, if the other end is a legitimate server, it *should*
have screened its input to make sure that it was, so my rejecting at
SMTP time means that the real original sender *should* get the bounce,
and not some random victim of a joe job.

I know this assumes that the original server is not an open relay,
etc., but doing other administrator's jobs is not really something I
need to worry about.

--
Jeff Rife |