[Mimedefang] Re: compare mimedefang to mailscanner

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 17 14:43:13 EST 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> That is why you never bounce. Reject, good -- bounce, bad!

Umm, not if you are expecting the mail system to work...

> Mailscanner doesn't bounce spam by default. It hasn't for close to two years.
> But the option is still there, and is discouraged in the docs, in the comments
> of the config file, and is very discouraged on the lists.
> It comes down to two things. If you are required by law to archive "all"
> communications to or from your company, or like some countries cannot reject
> e-mail without a human being reviewing it, use mailscanner. If you can reject
> anything you please, and your users won't ask you for it later, use
> mimedefang. The only bounce messages I generate are for unknown users,
The majority of my inbound mail is to unknown users.  When I used a
mailer that
accepted, then bounced it would fill my outbound queue to the point that
normal
outbound mail was often delayed.   Does mailscanner on a relay machine
have a
way to check valid users on the destination host before accepting?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com