[Mimedefang] Problems with outgoing bounce messages, unkown user, plus to many bad files in sendmail queue

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at Roadway.com
Tue Jan 16 16:30:02 EST 2007

> I've got many spam emails sent from non existing senders to unkown users
and
> do not want to generate bounce messages.
> All files in sendmail queue was removed on Friday and now (Tuesday) I have

> 800+ bounce messages in the queue. Plus, why do I have 9000+ files in the
> sendmail queue now?

For starters, you might try re-tuning how long sendmail will re-try a
message.  This will cut down substantially, on "stale" messages in the
queue, that are destined for unresponsive or non-existant servers.
Sendmail's default for confTO_QUEUERETURN is an absurd 5 days (actually,
it's 5 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes).  That's 6 days of garbage in your queue.
Try setting that to 2 days.  You'll see a lot less garbage in your queue,
and your users wont have to wait close to a week to find out a valid (but
stalled) mail they sent didn't go through.

Ken