[Mimedefang] compare mimedefang to mailscanner

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Tue Jan 16 16:05:45 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:
> John Rudd wrote:

>> Btw: thank you for not squelching this topic.  When I tried to have a
>> similar discussion on the MailScanner list, about a year ago, the
>> maintainer pretty much banned the topic from discussion (even though I
>> was, at the time, advocating the mixed approach and not an approach of
>> "abandoning MailScanner").  It has left a lasting bad impression for me.
>
> Really?  I've worked with Julian on MIME-Tools issues and he seemed
> pretty pleasant and reasonable to me.  (Both MIMEDefang and Mailscanner
> use MIME-Tools.)

Yeah, in general Julian's a great guy, and very open about off-topic
conversation on the MS list (general Sendmail config topics, discussions
of milters that don't compete with MailScanner, etc.).  But I think
MIMEDefang was just too close to being a direct competitor ... and I
don't think he agreed with me that it could be something that
compliments MailScanner instead of competing with MailScanner.

I don't think he begrudges MD, I think he just didn't want it discussed
on the MS list, even in a complimentary role instead of a competitive role.