[Mimedefang] compare mimedefang to mailscanner

Kenneth Irving ken at fq.edu.uy
Tue Jan 16 11:38:46 EST 2007

I've found Sendmail+MIMEDefang+clamd+spamd a very efficient combination.
Tried Postfix+MailScanner+clamscan in another computer and it's very slow,
because Mailscanner doesn't work as a deamon, and doesn't use Clam as a
deamon either, but relies on running clamscan for every email. The overall
result is extremely slow.

Although I liked MailScanner, I would use it only in equipments with low
email traffic. Maybe in your equipment, with that email volume,
it'll work OK.

Today I'm using sendmail+mimedefang+clamd+spamd on a Pentium II 400 MHz
with 384 Mb RAM and it is handling between 10000 to 20000 emails per day
without problem. That would be absolutely impossible to handle with
Mailscanner unless I used a better server.

Hope you find the expirience useful.
best regards
			Kenneth