[Mimedefang] Re: Problem on attachment name

Ing. Andrea Vettori mail at andreavettori.com
Sat Jan 13 15:27:46 EST 2007

> Rest of your rfc2183 quote snipped. The definition of the
> "Content-Disposition" header is not relevant in this case.
> Your problem was an unquoted name value in the "Content-Type"
> header.

You are right. I have read so much times the source of the messages
that I messed up...

> I don't think it's a bug to reject an invalid message.
> And I'm not convinced that the handling of the mime-parts by
> MimeDefang is causing the trouble. It can also be the virusscanner
> when scanning the whole message.

The problem is that when the antivirus is run, the temporary file
that mimedefang creates has the unquoted file name trucated. The
antivirus is rejecting the message since it founds two different
names to identify the same attachment. I think it does this to
prevent that one .exe file, for example, is scanned as a .jpg file if
the two file names are set accordingly.

>> Who should I contact to solve this bug ?
>
> Did you try to contact the sender of the invalid message?

It happens with many sender that use Apple Mail. From your analysis
it seems that it's Apple Mail that compose the message without
respect of the rfc 2045.

The strange thing is that with an old installation of mimedefang
(version 2.39) with the same antivirus version the problem doesn't
happen. Maybe MIME code inside mimedefang has changed ?

Thank you
--
Ing. Andrea Vettori
Consulente per l'Information Technology