[Mimedefang] Re: Problem on attachment name

Ing. Andrea Vettori mail at andreavettori.com
Sat Jan 13 03:13:30 EST 2007

I've searched the rfcs.

 From rfc2183 :

disposition := "Content-Disposition" ":"
                     disposition-type
                     *(";" disposition-parm)

      disposition-type := "inline"
                        / "attachment"
                        / extension-token
                        ; values are not case-sensitive

      disposition-parm := filename-parm
                        / creation-date-parm
                        / modification-date-parm
                        / read-date-parm
                        / size-parm
                        / parameter

      filename-parm := "filename" "=" value

      creation-date-parm := "creation-date" "=" quoted-date-time

      modification-date-parm := "modification-date" "=" quoted-date-time

      read-date-parm := "read-date" "=" quoted-date-time

      size-parm := "size" "=" 1*DIGIT

      quoted-date-time := quoted-string
                       ; contents MUST be an RFC 822 `date-time'
                       ; numeric timezones (+HHMM or -HHMM) MUST be used

    NOTE ON PARAMETER VALUE LENGHTS: A short (length <= 78 characters)
    parameter value containing only non-`tspecials' characters SHOULD be
    represented as a single `token'.  A short parameter value containing
    only ASCII characters, but including `tspecials' characters, SHOULD
    be represented as `quoted-string'.  Parameter values longer than 78
    characters, or which contain non-ASCII characters, MUST be
encoded as
    specified in [RFC 2184].

and from rfc2045 :

   content := "Content-Type" ":" type "/" subtype
                 *(";" parameter)
                 ; Matching of media type and subtype
                 ; is ALWAYS case-insensitive.

      type := discrete-type / composite-type

      discrete-type := "text" / "image" / "audio" / "video" /
                       "application" / extension-token

      composite-type := "message" / "multipart" / extension-token

      extension-token := ietf-token / x-token

      ietf-token := <An extension token defined by a
                     standards-track RFC and registered
                     with IANA.>

      x-token := <The two characters "X-" or "x-" followed, with
                  no intervening white space, by any token>

      subtype := extension-token / iana-token

      iana-token := <A publicly-defined extension token. Tokens
                     of this form must be registered with IANA
                     as specified in RFC 2048.>

      parameter := attribute "=" value

      attribute := token
                   ; Matching of attributes
                   ; is ALWAYS case-insensitive.

      value := token / quoted-string

      token := 1*<any (US-ASCII) CHAR except SPACE, CTLs,
                  or tspecials>

      tspecials :=  "(" / ")" / "<" / ">" / "@" /
                    "," / ";" / ":" / "\" / <">
                    "/" / "[" / "]" / "?" / "="
                    ; Must be in quoted-string,
                    ; to use within parameter values

So it seems to me that unless the file name contains tspecials, it's
legal to have the filename as a quoted string on the name parameter
of Content-Type and unquoted string on filename parameter of Content-
Disposition.

So I think it's a mimedefang/MIME handling bug that when unquoted
string are used on Content-Disposition filename parameter they are
truncated...

Who should I contact to solve this bug ?

Thank you