[Mimedefang] DoD finally bans HTML e-mail

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Mon Jan 8 13:39:56 EST 2007

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> But full
> HTML isn't needed for that. If we had a very restricted subset, our
> lives could be a lot easier. The problem then becomes how to get
> agreement on a suitable markup language and get it implemented in clients.

There is a simple markup language that can provide basic formatting:
text/richtext.  <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/7_1_Text.html> This
goes beyond just including images, but let's face it, people are used to
things like bold, italic, and underline, and asterisks and underscores
are less readable than the real thing.

I know Eudora will send it, and I know Thunderbird will read it.  I'm
not sure how widely it's supported in other clients, though.

--
Kelson Vibber