[Mimedefang] DoD finally bans HTML e-mail

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Jan 7 04:50:11 EST 2007

Some of the replies have some good points.

This one is interesting:

> won't do wht you think it does
>     Hey folks, this isn't going to do anything for security. There's
> going to be a button that allows them to simply click and turn this back
> into an html email. It's NOT stripped text, it's just hidden the html
> code behaviors. Push the button and you're back to HTML!
>
>     My husband has been working on creating the training for this for the
> last 6 weeks so I know way more than I ever wanted about this subject!

I do know that it's desirable to have some way to exchange pictorial matter
easily, as I need to exchange photos of assemblies (with interleaved
instructions) and shipping damage all the time. But full HTML isn't needed
for that. If we had a very restricted subset, our lives could be a lot
easier. The problem then becomes how to get agreement on a suitable markup
language and get it implemented in clients.