[Mimedefang] Sendmail 8.14.0 Beta available

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Jan 4 13:19:27 EST 2007

Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu>  wrote on 01/04/2007 12:29:03 PM:

>    CONFIG: New FEATURE(`require_rdns') to reject messages from SMTP
>                 clients whose IP address does not have proper reverse
DNS.

Do they define "proper reverse DNS"?

>         CONFIG: New FEATURE(`block_bad_helo') to reject messages from
SMTP
>                 clients which provide a HELO/EHLO argument which is
either
>                 unqualified, or is one of our own names (i.e., the
server
>                 name instead of the client name).
>    CONFIG: New FEATURE(`badmx') to reject envelope sender addresses
>                 (MAIL) whose domain part resolves to a "bad" MX record.
>                 Based on contribution from William Dell Wisner.
>

> All of these are a little dangerous.  Notably, an smtp server should
> accept mail with bad HELO strings from clients.

Yes, anything that blocks any email caould be considered a little
dangerous because some email some (L)user wants was blocked.  Just like
ORDB blocking open relays blocked legitimate mail from misconfigured mail
servers.  But it forced people to clean up their server configs.  I think
these new options will do the same.  And that's a good thing.