[Mimedefang] /etc/init.d/mimedefang

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed Feb 28 08:59:34 EST 2007

On 27 Feb 2007 at 19:31, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:41 PM -0500 Josh Kelley <joshkel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > No other init script that I've checked does that.
>
> Which scripts, on what OS? The sendmail script I mentioned that does things
> the same way as MD is on Fedora Core 2.

Most init scripts have changed in FC as of recent versions, but on FC6,
the following still won't start if the /var/lock/subsys/* file exists:

acpid
atd
nfslock
rpcgssd
rpcsvcgssd

Almost all services won't start if their pid file exists, even if it is
no longer really running.

The crond script seems to be the only one to really get it right, with
the following code:

if [ -e /var/lock/subsys/crond ]; then
  if [ -e /var/run/crond.pid ] && [ -e /proc/`cat /var/run/crond.pid` ]; then
    echo -n $"cannot start crond: crond is already running.";
    failure $"cannot start crond: crond already running.";
    echo
    return 1
  fi
fi