[Mimedefang] On pinheaded ISP's (sort of OT)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Feb 1 21:31:32 EST 2007

David F. Skoll wrote:

>Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>What interest would the victim of the spam have in forging
>>log files?  What does he have to cover up?
>>

>The alleged victim may not be a victim at all, but might be trying
>to get the person he's complaining about in trouble.
>
>We've had a few unfounded accusations that we've been sending
>spam over the last few years; I'm sure it's happened to many others on
>this list.
>
>Regards,
>
>David.

Right.  But you'd still be able cross-check his supposed logs
against the contents of your own /var/log/maillog (or whatever).

At least prove that a message was or wasn't sent... and know
what the message size was...  On the other hand, you he could
forge the message contents and that would be harder to
disprove.

-Philip