[Mimedefang] /etc/init.d/mimedefang

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 09:54:51 EST 2007

On 2/28/07, Jeff Rife <mimedefang at nabs.net> wrote:
> Most init scripts have changed in FC as of recent versions, but on FC6,
> the following still won't start if the /var/lock/subsys/* file exists:
>
> acpid
> atd
> nfslock
> rpcgssd
> rpcsvcgssd
>
> Almost all services won't start if their pid file exists, even if it is
> no longer really running.

I guess I didn't check thoroughly enough.  I did most of my checking
on CentOS 4.4 (RHEL 4 clone), which I think roughly corresponds to
FC3, and most of the scripts there don't check for /var/lock/subsys/*
before starting, but there are a few exceptions (mostly the ones you
listed).

However, the daemon function on CentOS 4 and FC6 *does* check if the
process is still running, sort of.  If I'm reading it right, it will
ignore PID files if no process by that PID is running.  So removing
the check for /var/lock/subsys would likely let it start without
manually cleaning up files if mimedefang or mimedefang-multiplexor
crashed.

(The SIGALRM issue that others reported was causing my entire
mimedefang-multiplexor process to crash, which is why I started
looking into this.)

Josh Kelley