[Mimedefang] /etc/init.d/mimedefang

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:41:44 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> --On Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:39 PM -0500 Josh Kelley
> <joshkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The /etc/init.d/mimedefang script checks for
> > /var/lock/subsys/mimedefang before trying to start or stop MIMEDefang.
> >  This is apparently not the approach that other /etc/init.d scripts
> > take, and it means that if MIMEDefang crashes for whatever reason,
> > /var/lock/subsys/mimedefang has to be manually removed before it can
> > be restarted.
>
> The logic looks quite similar to the sendmail initscript in Fedora. The
> lock is removed when the stop command is issued to the script.

But if mimedefang crashes (rather than being stopped cleanly), the
lock isn't removed, and if the init script checks for the presence of
the lock before starting mimedefang, it will never start mimedefang
until the lock is manually removed.  No other init script that I've
checked does that.

The daemon function, which the init script calls, already checks for
the existence of the service before trying to start it, so checking
for the lock before attempting to start is redundant.

Josh Kelley