[Mimedefang] Has anybody seen word document spam?

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Tue Feb 27 16:29:29 EST 2007

Michael Sofka wrote:
> Has anybody seen more recent Word doc spam activity?  My
> inclination is to leave word document scanning in place,
> since once a successful vector is discovered, it is likely
> to be exploited again.  However, I prefer buidling my
> cases on more than a hunch.

Not lately, but if spammers decide Word docs are a free ticket past the
scanners, it won't take long to start.  Presumably the run described in
that article didn't gain them enough of an advantage, though as I recall
that was around the time image spam was really ramping up.  Maybe images
proved more effective.

That said, Word docs (or files claiming to be Word docs) can still be
vectors for viruses and malware, so it's worth at least subjecting them
to virus scanning.

--
Kelson Vibber