[Mimedefang] Blocking outbound Office documents

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Fri Feb 16 14:08:59 EST 2007

** Notes

It seems you are talking about two very different things:

1: Using MS Word as an email editor.

2: Exchanging MS Office documents with others.

I'll adress them as such.

** Using MS Word as an email editor.

 > A bit of research indicates that it's a
 > "Windows Media Skin", apparently some "active" gizmo
 > inserted by Office when it sends email.

So MS hase come up with yet another great contribution to the
world of email... :-(

 > using Word as an email program?

Don't. Just don't. Word is a word processor.

When Outlook uses Word for editing email the result is bloated,
ugly, idiotic HTML code.

That said, we do let such mail through here, subjected to the
same HTML cleaning as all mail passing our gateway. According to
my mail reports, mail edited with Word regularly has portions
removed by the filter. Noone has complained though, so I guess
the portions removed are just unneeded dirt.

** Exchanging MS Office documents with others,

 > How do company admins here feel about letting
 > Office documents escape one's company boundaries?

This is not really an email issue. Most of the problems are there
no matter how the files are transported.

Users here exchange Word and Excel documents all the time. As
attached files, CDs etc. I (as an admin) have no problems with this.

We had have situations where all the edits done to a word
document showed up as some kind of strange notes when others
viewed the document that was supposed to be finished. This has
been unfortunate and sligtly embarrasing, but not a really big deal.

It's (fortunately) not my responsibility (as an admin) though.
Since I never use Word myself, I have no idea how one avoids that
kind of thing.

Of course, when sending thourgh email, the same
security/privacy/integrity issues exist for Word documents as for
any files and content.

Regards
/Jonas
--