[Mimedefang] OT: Slaves

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Feb 16 13:36:26 EST 2007

Adam Lanier wrote:

> However, there are others whose opinions differ (as is obvious from the
> article posted by David).  The fact that 'everything you do _might_
> offend someone' doesn't obviate you from the responsibility incurred by
> doing something that you KNOW offends someone.

I don't agree.  I have certain political beliefs that I KNOW offend
people.  They probably offend a lot of people.  While I don't talk
about them on the MIMEDefang list (because that's not the place), I'm
certainly not afraid to talk about them on other forums, even though I
know lots of people will be offended.

In my opinion, being "offended" is a condition caused by the person
taking offense.  Unless there's actual harm to someone, or unless
you're deliberately being offensive to cause trouble, I do not believe
anyone should care one little bit about offending others.  What starts
out as a mild protest against the term "slave" far too quickly
escalates into things like riots about depictions of religious figures
(riots that *killed people*.)