[Mimedefang] My "fighting spam" article is live! (fwd)

Don Killen donk at impzilla.com
Fri Feb 16 11:49:17 EST 2007

I second that......

________________________________

From: mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com on behalf of Ben Kamen
Sent: Fri 2/16/2007 10:00 AM
To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] My "fighting spam" article is live! (fwd)

David F. Skoll wrote:

> While there was nothing earth-shattering, it's an excellent PHB resource.

Agreed... at least it's exposure to the people that might make a mail Admin's
life miserable.

And I think one of the most important messages was about "EDUCATION". That
Managers and users alike truly don't understand what they are doing when
they attach 200MB to a document should be embarrassing to that user/manager.

However, make something even a fool will use.. (sigh)

And I thought Spam was > 90% now? (as if %85 isn't bad enough)

Still, I run my teeny mail server for me and about 20 other people who work
for a particular company that operates on a shoe string budget. (In a real
sense, how just about the same money EVERY company spends on their IT
infrastructure.) Since I run my own server and allow them to ride on it,
they get their spam-blocking pretty much for free... Every now and then
the owner will complain to me he's getting more spam than usual. I just
ask him, "and how does this compare with your yahoo account?"

That's when he falls silent as *my* yahoo account gets about as much
spam (if not MORE) than my server allows through. Since I KNOW I'm not
throwing the same amount of money at my server that Yahoo probably does,
I think it's performing rather well.

All thanks to Sendmail/MD/SA.

Thanks Dave and to all who make this list successful,

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.