[Mimedefang] RE: BAYES not working with Mimedefang (Pierre Forget)

Pierre Forget pierre at pierreforget.com
Sat Feb 3 12:32:35 EST 2007

Hi Oliver,

Well, your solution worked perfectly.

Probably that I had installed the Bayes files in another directory on
the other servers. I cannot check, because I don't have access anymore
to those servers.

I was banging my head for a few weeks with that problem.

I don't include the problem in my answer, because it won't go through
the spam filters. Just included your solution (corrected one tyop:
defang instead of default).

Thanks,

Pierre Forget

Original reply:

I suggest using a directory that is readable by the defang user.
By default, only root can access files inside /root

So, here is the my recomended setup:
in sa-mimedefang.conf put this lines:
bayes_path /var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes
bayes_file_mode 664

Then, create the directory
mkdir -p /var/db/spamassassin/bayes/
chown defang.defang -R /var/db/spamassassin/bayes

Look the bayes files grow:
ls -l /var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes*
-rw-rw-r--  1 defang defang    52464 Feb  3 13:32
/var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes_journal
-rw-rw-rw-  1 defang defang 83968000 Feb  3 13:30
/var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes_seen
-rw-rw-r--  1 defang defang  5414912 Feb  3 13:30
/var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes_toks
-rw-rw-r--  1 defang defang  5390336 Aug  4  2006
/var/db/spamassassin/bayes/bayes_toks.expire25608

Then run sa-learn with:
sa-lean -p /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.conf

HTH
Oliver