[Mimedefang] [OT] Re: Clearing history for 63.216.184.10 - Useful Borderware Manager Discussion

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Fri Feb 2 10:33:27 EST 2007

Chris:

Thanks for your reply.  I'll try and respond in detail and cc the MD List
for more comments because they are the best group of people I've met for
sounding out a myriad of issues related to email delivery in this day and
age.

My first answer is that besides a manual configuration, MXtreme could do an
MX lookup on the domain you are receiving and see if the host is a relay
listed as a standard MX record if it's a local-host-name or allowed relay.
This will allow you to automatically exclude "trusted" relays from your
reputation system and could be cached based on the standard TTL settings for
the domain.

At that point, the choice to utilize Backup MX's becomes a choice of the
customer elected by DNS rather than something a person who may not know what
they are doing has to set.

My second answer is that even with the above automation or manual
identification of customers, I don't see how it would help.

Company X is down.  We queue mail for them.  When they come back up, 80% of
the mail is then flagged for invalid recipient and our machine generates a
proper RFC-driven NDR which goes back then to a potentially forged address
of someone who is not related to us and happens to run your product.   It's
not ideal and when things are working correctly, we do limit queuing to the
extent possible.  However, in the end, backup MX's and NDRs are designed for
when things are not ideal and something went wrong.  We cannot just ignore
this and ignore NDRs.

My third answer on this is that just because NDRs are create by spammer I do
not believe means people are reading them.  I would argue the vast majority
are wasted emails that are caused by old mailing lists, joe-jobs and
dictionary attacks.  I'd like to hear more if you believe they are actually
using NDRs as a delivery method because it just doesn't make sense.  Most
users don't know what one is, let alone know how to decipher it or get to
the original email attached.  Therefore, other than annoying by volume, are
NDRs an issue of actually being effective spam?  Your FAQ definitely leads
me to believe this.

My fourth answer would be that IF you mark NDR's as SPAM then you implement
a policy similar to AOL.

For example, we forward a LOT of email to AOL.  However, we do not
fundamentally agree with any blocks for SPAM scores.  SPAM is in the eye of
the beholder and FPs are a reality.

However, AOL DOES have a whitelist system and on top of that, they honor the
email into the users junk folder.

This doesn't cover my issue with the fact that AOL believes it's users too
much as almost 100% of our "spam" feedback is legitimate mailing lists.  And
I don't even mean legitimate marking mailing lists.  We are talking things
like volunteer fire departments and internal mailing lists for Jerry's Subs
and Pizza franchise members, Autism member organization lists, etc.  These
people sign up and then use the "this is spam" as a "don't put this in my
inbox" filter.  Argh!

But, I would argue you need a similar policy where if you are to hold NDRs
against a company, you at least allow them to place and subsequently honor
the X-Spam-Flag: Yes.  In short, "Yes, it's potential SPAM but the company
is still going to deliver an NDR anyway" to exclude from the reputation
system.

The problem with the end-result however is that spammers can simply put
because it is filtered as junk mail automatically.  Therefore, I believe
that if you made a change to MXTreme to utilize existing POSITIVE spam flag
headers but ignore NEGATIVE headers (i.e. ignore X-Spam-Flag: No), and make
it a user switchable option, you will A) save processor cycles if another
box says it's SPAM, and B) be able to exclude it from the reputation
measure.   Then those who run spam tests on NDRs can continue to do so and
everyone is happy.  Of course, we'll have to figure out HOW to enable SPAM
testing on NDRs but that is another issue.

Regards,
KAM