[Mimedefang] proposing a patch for URL listing in boilerplate and more

Vieri Di Paola vieridipaola at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 09:58:47 EST 2007

--- "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I would like to suggest a patch for mimedefang.pl
> and
> > custom example for /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter.
>
> Thanks for the patch.  Unfortunately, however, any
> patch that adds
> to the number of global variables is highly unlikely
> to find my approval;
> we're trying hard not to do that.
>
> Also, what you want is more properly decoupled into
> the filter and
> direct manipulation of the MIME::Entity in
> filter_end.

Thanks for the feedback David.

Just so I get it right (it's holiday season, I'm a bit
rusty and I'm not a perl expert), are you suggesting
that I merely reimplement custom procedures in
mimedefang-filter for:

action_replace_with_warning (to add an html warning,
not plain text)

action_replace_with_file (to replace an attachment
with it's compressed version)

action_replace_with_url (so that it can call the
modified action_replace_with_warning)
?

Would just like to know what's the "cleanest" method.

Also, if the global variable is the only issue then
maybe there's another way to store the URL list.

Finally, you suggest manipulating the parts in
filter_end but I don't know how that can "easily" be
done in the case of the three above-mentioned
procedures (except for the URL list which is appended
as a boilerplate).

Basically, I don't mind redoing the procedures in
mimedefang-filter (the end result is the same - it
"just works") but I was wondering if the procedures in
mimedefang.pl could be somehow extended so that
mimedefang-filter would require less code.
But if it's too much of a hassle then forget my query.
I'm happy with the way I got it working and just
wanted to share my thoughts and see if someone could
strengthen the code.

Happy holidays,

Vieri