[Mimedefang] Re: Pre-Acceptance filtering (WAS: Re: recipient filter and RBLs)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 7 08:25:02 EST 2007

Dirk the Daring wrote:

>     We may be arguing semantics here. If the spammer never reaches DATA,
> they *know* their crap is not going thru. Mission Failed. If they reach
> data, they can (possibly reasonably) *assume* that it has a chance to
> get thru.

No.  They can only assume it might get through if they get a 2xx response

However, this is probably moot.  I believe spammers just "fire-and-forget".
In other words, they don't seem to pay close attention to SMTP response
codes.

>     I've seen some spam-for-hire arrangements that work based on a very
> small commission amount per E-Mail "successfully sent" and then a larger
> commission per sale. The spammer wants to recoup *something* for their
> large investment in millions of victim E-Mail addresses, while the
> company hiring the spammer doesn't want to pay serious money without sales.

Think about it.  You're hiring a criminal to do work on your behalf,
and you're going to trust this very same criminal to give you accurate
delivery statistics??