[Mimedefang] Pre-Acceptance filtering (WAS: Re: recipient filter and RBLs)

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Thu Dec 6 12:53:17 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 01:33 -0500, Dirk the Daring wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, "Paul Houselander" <housey at sme-ecom.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > After a bit of digging around I think ive pretty much decided not to use the
> > rbl feature in sendmail but to intergrate spamhaus checking into my
> > mime-defang script.

Sendmail's RBL is somewhat limiting. I've found a Sendmail milter called
dnsbl (http://www.five-ten-sg.com/dnsbl/) that is much more flexible in
regards using DNSBLs. You have a vastly more flexible configuration in
the BLs are applied. You can have different checks by recpient or by
domain. It can even scan the message body looking for hostnames and IPs
that are in the DNSBLs.

Dnsbl has have the load on my back-end mime-defang servers much more
reasonable even at peak loads. To date I've only has pseudo-false
positive. That was a site that got on the CBL having a misconfigured
host name on a new mail server.

--
Stephen L Johnson <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>