[Mimedefang] sendmail processes remaining after message rejected

Ben Poliakoff benp at reed.edu
Fri Aug 31 10:13:16 EDT 2007

* Michael D. Sofka <sofkam at rpi.edu> [20070831 06:48]:
> I sent a version of this to the CanIt list last night....
>
> The load on our smtp servers has gone way up the past few days.
> There are now 250--300 sendmail processes running on each machine,
> here normally there are fewer than 100 processes running.
>
> Most of the processes are from connections that were rejected,
> due to RBLs, or high spam score.  But, the sendmail processes
> remain in "cmd read" mode.  I've firewalled a few of the more
> aggressive IPs.

We've been completely clobbered by this as well.  It turns out the
default sendmail timeout waiting for command is 1 hour.  I found a
suggestion from Robert Harker on the sendmail newsgroup suggesting 1
minute might be a more sane timeout.

    define(`confTO_COMMAND',`1m')

This seems to have completely cleared up the 'cmd read' problem.

Ben

PGP fingerprint:      A131 F813 7A0F C5B7 E74D  C972 9118 A94D 6AF5 2019