[Mimedefang] Totally off-topic

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Aug 24 10:56:42 EDT 2007

I'm Sorry - but I must contribute...

My favorite aspect of late with windows is the concept of the included (XP and Vista)
Windows Firewall...

Which, BY DEFAULT allows access to the internet for both Internet Explorer
AND Outlook Express - need I say more?

So with that, I always tell my friends to disable Windows Firewall and install ANY third party
FW software.

Invariably, they ask me why... "Isn't the one on windows good enough?"

So I explain to them, "Windows Firewall was made by MS as a stopgap to sort of 'protect' you
from Internet Explorer and Outlook which are ALSO made by MS. Instead of FIXING those two
programs, they give you ANOTHER piece of software to protect you from the other 2 programs
they 'give away'. That's like having an Alarm company installing and providing monitoring
service for your home!! Would you do that if you knew the company providing those security
services was run by complete idiots/morons/thieves??? Of course not!! That's what Windows
Firewall is. A Security package written by MS to protect you from other horribly insecure
products written by MS"

 -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.