[Mimedefang] Enlisting registrars in fighting phishing and otherscams

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Aug 22 13:09:43 EDT 2007

> (I suspect some registrars are actively blocking any attempt to have an
> easily searchable domain->registrar lookup available, because I suspect
> some registrars have drawers full of contracts that are so pink that
> they can easily wallpaper cinderella's dreamcastle with it, and they
> don't want an easy way to tie them to the deluge of spam. But that's
> just my speculation.)

Wow, you just made me look normal with that kind of paranoia ;-)

Personally, I think it just had more to do with stopping the whois record
harvesting that was used to send bulk mail (originally) and bulk email
(later).  In the ol' days, I'm 90% sure in my faded memory that the whois
records were considered public record and you could get a tar file from
NetSol from an anonymous ftp site even.

Regards,
KAM