[Mimedefang] Starting & stopping Mimedefang

Ron Wilhoite ronw at bals.org
Mon Aug 13 15:12:00 EDT 2007

On 08/13/2007 12:14 PM Lisa Casey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running mimedefang with sendmail on redhat linux for awhile.
> I recently migrated the mail server to a Freebsd computer running
> Sendmail 8.13.1 and Mimedefang 2.61  I realise that as far as starting &
> stopping things goes, mimedefang should be started BEFORE sendmail is
> started and mimedefang should be stopped AFTER sendmail is stopped. That
> was all fine on the redhat box,  /etc/init.d/sendmail was the script
> that starts/stops/restarts sendmail and in it there were comments (such
> as # Start daemons.   and   # Stop daemons.) which showed me where in
> the script sendmail was started/stopped and I inserted
> /etc/init.d/mimedefang start and  /etc/init.d/mimedefang stop  in the
> appropriate places so when I stop sendmail and start sendmail mimedefang
> and sendmail start and stop at the right times.
>
> I need to do the same thing on this new FreeBSD/Sendmail/Mimedefang box
> but it's not as clear how to do so. On the FreeBSD box,  sendmail
> starts/stops via the script /etc/rc.d/sendmail but it's not at all clear
> in this script just where sendmail is started & stopped, so I'm not sure
> where I should insert the lines about mimedefang.

I don't have an answer, but I can tell you that letting sendmail start
from the usual /etc/rc.sendmail and mimedefang start from the usual
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mimedefang.sh works for me. Sendmail will complain
about mimedefang's socket not being there, but once mimedefang finishes
starting, sendmail works normally.

FreeBSD 6.2, sendmail 8.14.1 from ports, and mimedefang 2.62 from ports.

Ron Wilhoite