[Mimedefang] Bigger MAX_QUEUE_SIZE, why is there a hardcodedlimit ?

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Wed Aug 8 17:15:08 EDT 2007

Mack wrote:

> each mail (inc SA should take way less than 1s inc virus scanning).

Woah!  Sweeping generalisation alert!

If you have a monster server with 64Gb of RAM, a super-fast processor, a RAM
disk for everything, and only one e-mail arriving at a time, you might just
(and I really mean *might*) get the whole of SA down to 1 second, but to
manage this for the whole message is completely impossible in my experience.

Does your Spamassassin implementation actually do any rule processing?  DNS
RBL lookups?  Bayesian analysis?  Auto whitelisting?  I can't believe it
does.

Add in a message size dependency for both SA and AV, and you're waaaaay over
1 second.

Paul.