[Mimedefang] Bigger MAX_QUEUE_SIZE, why is there a hardcodedlimit ?

Mack roaringpenguin.com at bass-speaker.com
Wed Aug 8 16:45:48 EDT 2007

just my 2pence worth......

>Hmm.
>I have seen a queue overflow in various situations, for example
>when dns servers where unreachable
Timeouts, - make the code more resiliant towards DNS, and once a problem is
identified, deal with it in the code (IE RBL lookups start taking a long
time (>5s) switch em off for 15 secs (then 30 then 60 till they behave) etc
<-- you get the idea

> a database table has a lock at some table during a fixed time.

Again, Code resilance, to check for said lock and start to throttle based on
it (451's) rather than overload the box with 60 million locks trying to gain
a table... (you know what i mean)

Schedule Maintance to be done offline (difficult with Mysql granted) rather
than during online periods.

if you end up with > 128 processess concurrent then you are either running
hotmail, or have code issues that are causing {start} -> {finish} mail
processing to take wa(aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)y to long.

each mail (inc SA should take way less than 1s inc virus scanning).

Throttle the mail, that's way to gain an advantage.... lesser hardware to
process more !