[Mimedefang] Adding mimedefang to sendmail's startup script

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Fri Aug 3 21:06:55 EDT 2007

On Dec 22,  1:22pm, Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
} On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 17:43 -0400, Lisa Casey wrote:
}
} If you look here:
}
} http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-starting-services.html
}
} and here:
}
} http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcd.html
} the rc.d mechanism is explained pretty well.
}
} Since your rc.conf has sendmail enable set to yes, it does run the
} sendmail script. That script, as standard, most likely doesn't have the
} mimedefang start script set as a requirement, so it blithely starts, and
} probably before your customisations kick in.
}
} It seems to me that what you need to do is have a separate start script
} for mimedefang (most likely a good idea on Linux, too, as long as it

     Yes, this should be done.

} runs before the sendmail script) and you also need to edit the sendmail
} script on FreeBSD to have mimedefang as a requirement before sendmail
} can start with the "require" keyword.

     She really shouldn't modify any script supplied with the system as
the modifications would be wiped out during an upgrade.

} The mimedefang script should probably also have the keyword "before"
} used to make sure it starts before sendmail.

     Yes, it should.  And, this would eliminate the need to modify the
sendmail script, since it would ensure that MIMEDefang is started
before Sendmail.  I provided her with appropriate scripts in another
message.

}-- End of excerpt from Kimmo Jaskari