[Mimedefang] Documentational TLD by RFC 2606

imacat imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw
Sun Apr 15 15:28:05 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:35:12 +0100
"Mack" <roaringpenguin.com at bass-speaker.com> wrote:
> Conceptually a good idea, however, the example filter given is just that, it
> is not supposed to be used in native (example) format and is designed to be
> edited by a competant (even semi) admin before being rolled out.
> However, i suppose that there are ppl out there that would expect it to work
> as given, rather than having to do any work on it....

    I suppose currently the real issue is not that the filter might be
used "as is" without editing.  These example domains (mydomain.com, etc.)
only appear in the documentations and comments, but not in real code
lines.  They currently do not cause trouble even if the filter is used
"as is".

    The issue is that these example domains belongs to real companies.
They really work.  People may mindlessly block abc.com, xyz.net or
badguy.com according to the documentation, or think the owners of these
domains are spammers or good guys, even if the owners of these domains
may not be spammers or good guys.  This may cause trouble to these
irrevelent real companies, organizations or personals.

    I guess it is better in documentation examples to refer to something
that "by definition does not exist".

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw>