[Mimedefang] examples/init-script

Stephen Johnson Stephen.Johnson at arkansas.gov
Wed Apr 25 12:55:40 EDT 2007

     I. On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:47 -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

> } Aiee... double-triple-negatives!  I think patch below is clearer.
>
>      Hmm, not sure why you're calling it a "double-triple-negative"...
> Anyways, I find the patch below to be counter-intuitive or at least
> inconsistent, since in all other cases you turn on an option by setting
> the value to "yes".  Also, it should be MD_... (my bad, teach me to do
> this stuff late at night instead of taking down a production mail
> server in the middle of the day).

The problem is that it's not intuitive. Maybe even counter-intuitive.
This is only one instance here, but if you don't nip it in the bud it's
get brain twisting.

A MMORPG game I playing has this issue with some of the chat filtering
options.

Allow X Chat - [Enable|Disable]
Profanity Filter - [Enable|Diable]
Hide X Chat - [Enable|Disable]
Show Z Chat - [Enable|Disable]

There are other filtering options in the same vein. And the defaults are
all over the place. For a new character I've got to stop and think about
what I want my setup to me. It's just bad UI design.

It's best to keep all flags consistent. And follow the principle of
least suprise. People are least surprised when flags act like a light
switch. To get light you turn a switch to ON. And people expect lights
to be in different states. Some will be on and some off.

Stephen L Johnson                       stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Unix Systems Administrator              sjohnson at monsters.org
Department of Information Systems       Phone: 501-682-4339
State of Arkansas