[Mimedefang] What Does "MIMEDefang" Mean?

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Sun Apr 22 13:43:15 EDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, imacat wrote:

>     What does the term "MIMEDefang" means?  I explained what I did on

   It's a concatenation of MIME and Defang - in other words, it "de-fangs"
(takes the bite out of) MIME attachments.

> the mail servers to my boss, and my boss looked very confused and was a
> little difficult to understand it.  Why "MIMEDefang"?  Where did you
> name it from?  How should people pronounce it?

   It was originally called MIMESweeper but that was apparently too close
to someone else's trademark so David renamed it MIMEDefanger, then
MIMEDefang.  It's pronounced (in English, anyway), as "MIME Defang".

   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMEDefang for more info (I did the
history part).

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville