[Mimedefang] Yet more disclaimer madness

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Mon Apr 16 18:14:58 EDT 2007

On 16 Apr 2007 at 17:21, David F. Skoll wrote:

> https://www.roaringpenguin.com/canit/showmsg.php?id=128587
> (login/password = demo/demo)
>
> This is from a (supposedly) competent large accounting firm.  Don't
> you just love the clever way their disclaimers work? :-)
>
> (Hint: A "real" e-mail client will hide the disclaimer... it's not
> base-64 encoded like the rest of the body.)
>
> *** sigh ***

The better part is where they basically admit they are at fault if you
are the addressee:

  We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by
  any person other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or
  actions taken based on this communication or otherwise.

The old rule of thumb for lawyers is to never even hint at admitting
that you might possibly be responsible for anything, even if it
requires the planets to be aligned just right.  And absolutely *never*
do it in writing.

As has been said before, disclaimers are just plain dumb, and are
probably more dangerous than saying nothing.

--
Jeff Rife | "I feel the need...the need for