[Mimedefang] greylisting does it still work?

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Mon Apr 16 19:48:58 EDT 2007

On 16 Apr 2007 at 17:49, Wayne wrote:

> I have started to receive a bunch of spam in the last couple of weeks and
> looking at the messages and headers I can't seem to find a way to get them
> blocked. I was wondering if greylisting is still affective?

It is still effective, depending on your use pattern.  For me, though,
bad HELO blocking is the #1 blocker, with other "RFC-based" blocks
second.  From the last two weeks:

Pre-greeting traffic:          164
Connection rate limit:         159
Connection count limit:         13
Temporary blacklist:            30
Greylist delays:               758
Whitelist exceptions:         1198
Bad HELO blocked:              951
    (IP address):                    256
      (not FQDN):                    614
      (spoofing):                     81
Failed relay attempts:          37
Sender domain doesn't exist:   156
Unknown recipient:             176
    (INN msg IDs):                   130
Mail accepted:                1388
Virus e-mail dropped:           25
High value SPAM dropped:        83
SPAM e-mail detected:           15

As you can see, of the 1388 messages that made it to the data phase,
1198 of them were from the whitelist (either pre-loaded or discovered).
That means that only 190 messages made it through the greylist, with
568 being stopped (Greylist delays - 190 = the number that retried).

For me 568 messages that almost certainly were spam is a lot (nearly
30% of the total 1956 that would have made it to the data phase).

Add in the bad HELO, and just those two methods are blocking 49% of
total e-mail, all before any expensive checks are run.  Overall, I'm
blocking 73% of e-mail with all the early, fast checks.

The "temporary blacklist" is for messages that get rejected as high
value spam or viruses, which get put in the database as a blacklist
entry with an expiration based on how "bad" the behavior was.

--
Jeff Rife |