[Mimedefang] HELO filtering (again)

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sun Apr 15 14:30:13 EDT 2007

After the last discussion, I decided to add logging for HELO parameters
that do not resolve (using a DNS search for 'A' records, like the RFC
says), but only if the other filtering wouldn't reject it.

Although I only have 13 samples, it's a miserable failure.

Of the thirteen, eleven ended up being blocked by greylisting, and the
other two were sites that I wanted e-mail from (one was eBay).

If I had not gotten the two false positives, I would have left this
check in place a while longer.  But, it's gone now, because the time it
takes to do the DNS call isn't worth it for any kind of check of the
HELO parameter, at least for me.

--
Jeff Rife | "Women...can't live with 'em...can't explain to