[Mimedefang] Re: Pre-greeting traffic.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 13 08:36:24 EDT 2007

--On Thursday, April 12, 2007 21:52 +0100 "G.W. Haywood"
<ged at jubileegroup.co.uk> wrote:

> One such non-spam source was mac.com - I tweaked the rules to give no
> pause.

I'm curious why we have such different results, unless your greet pause
is much longer than our 4 seconds.

We get spam from sender addresses @mac.com-- 217 yesterday-- but they
don't actually come from mac.com servers.  Mail from smtpout.mac.com
does not hit the greetpause.

> But apparently there are no takers for my question?  That is,
> paraphrasing, does anyone have a way to log the actual pre-greeting
> traffic for analysis?  Other than sniffing the TCP connection

You mean what the content is?  Presumably it's helo/ehlo or even mail.
If we cared, we would modify sendmail to log what it was.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer