[Mimedefang] Memory Limit Variables?

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 12 17:38:34 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 02:34:28PM -0400, Video Game Junkie wrote:
> Just looking I don't. I'll give that a try. The machines process well
> until they get overloaded with HTML based emails, then I start getting
> the 4.5.1 errors and things can take a few hours to normalize.
>
> I don't do SA for all emails, I use a whitelist (via access.db) for
> certains senders/relays. Was curious if I could cut some of the fat
> off the slaves that call SA mostly :)

If you don't need SA on every email, _and_ if you're also doing
relatively time-consuming stuff in other slaves (eg, virus scanning,
or doing DNS lookups), it might help to use spamd/spamc instead of the
MD-builtin SA.

This way, you'd save some memory by not having SA in every MD slave.

For example, I have a max of 50 MD slaves on a machine (at 15MB/slave),
but only need around 15 SA slaves, max. That setup is highly dependant
on our particular situation in which we do relatively heavy virus
scanning, and a lot of blacklist checks in filter_recipient.

There's a wiki page on how to use spamc from within mimedefang. I'm
sortof working on a replacement spam_assassin_check based on
Mail::SpamAssassin::Client, to make it more efficient, but it's not
ready yet I'm afraid.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!