[Mimedefang] Pre-greeting traffic.

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Thu Apr 12 15:56:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:31:55PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My mail system automatically firewalls spam sources.  Depending on a
> variety of factors, the block is either for a few hours or indefinite.
>
> At the moment about half of the spam sources I see send pre-greeting
> traffic (I'm using sendmail's greet_pause feature), but blocking on
> that basis alone does give false positives, which I'd like to avoid.

Really?  I haven't had any complaints about blocking any non-spam sources
due to pre-greeting traffic, and we're handling about a million messages
per week.  Right now we're using a greet_pause setting of 5000 (5 secs)
and blocking about 45,000 connections per week with this rule.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
voice: 215-591-3695